What is Copywriting and How to Write A Damn Good One?
What is Copywriting?
First of all, copywriting is where you deliver your marketing message that can influence your potential customer. This message through copywriting is also where you pitch your sales to them or you attract their attentions to get notice about your business. Without a damn good copy, your business is just another “me too” business is the masses. They will not know who you are and what you do.
Moreover, a damn good copy is very important to a marketer because it is the next step after your create your own buyer persona. Yes, after you get to know your target customer only then you can craft your messages. If you read any books about marketing, most of the book will be agreeing with me.
What is The Benefits of A Damn Good Copywriting?
- It can send your message to your potential customer. Why? To teach them what is your uniqueness and benefits of doing business with you. For example, if you sell a laptop, you can craft your message that every time you buy laptop with us you can get a free gaming mouse.
- Make them trust you. Because they don’t even know who you are and what you do. Letting them know about your business in your damn good copy is how you do it.
- Persuade them to buy your product or use your services. Yes, a damn good copy can do this. That is why a lot of great copywriters earns a lot when they do an advertising project with a company. In fact, if you can do this well, you wont have any trouble getting potential customer to buy your products or services.
- Help customer who really needed it. Sometimes, the target customer don’t even know your business existed in the first place. Although your business can help them a lot. So if you can get their attentions and manage to persuade them to buy from as well as helping them, you are doing them a great favor to them. It’s a win win situation.
“The consumer isn’t a moron. She is your wife.”
― David Ogilvy,
Online or Offline copywriting?
In the age of digital, I would suggest you to focus on online copywriting especially if you are just starting up. Because online copy would be much more cheaper.
Online copy could be through medium such as below:
- Facebook which is my favorite.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which is my second favorite one.
- Google Adword my third favorite.
- Advertising with famous blog or website
- Or through an affiliate marketer.
Offline copywriting can be through:
- Highway advertising.
- Big TV screen advertising in town.
Additionally, if you want to learn more about Advanced Copywriting Strategies for Online Sales check it out here on Udemy. I also bought this online course, so dont worry because it is totally worth every penny. Especially if you are in startup phases. I truly recommend it.
5 Practical Ways to Create A Damn Good Copywriting.
According to How to Write a Good Advertisement by Victor O. Schwab, there are five fundamental elements to write a damn good copywriting.
- Get attention. Your headlines would be the most important thing. Because readers will be attracted to them not your copywriting’s body. Not to forget, there is a lot of copy out there. So unless your damn good copy is great enough, your copy will never stand out from the rest. To combat this, train your headline building skill on how to write a good headlines at here and here. Practice make perfect.
- Show people and advantages. What’s in it for them? What do they get in returns for doing business with you? Make sure you write it loud and clear in your damn good copy.
- Prove it. Do you have any reviews? Any testimony you can provided? Social proof is important guys.
- Persuade People to Grasp This Attention. Make sure they are move by you copy before its too late. Add value to motivate the target customer. For example, if you house had been bugged, you need to call us now to prevent it before it is too late.
- Ask for action. Use the scarcity factor properly? Is it limited? or is it a once in a year products? For example, MacDonald only serve the prosperity burger during the Chinese New Year.
“In advertising, not to be different is virtually suicidal” – Bill Bernbach
Extra ways to make you copy 100% times better.
- Value stacking.
- Use the fear of missing out.
- Discounted tags shown clearly.
- Provide reversal guarantee.
- Include emotional stories.
In a nutshell, creating a damn good copy is a job for everyone whether you are in business or in whatever you do. As for me, it is about writing a blog. So every time I write, I need to provide values to all the readers who keeps on reading my blog everyday. Because people need to understand your products or service before they can give you their money. And the best way to do that is through a damn good copy. Without it, no matter how great your products are, people would ignore it because they did not even know you existed.